Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Recipes 2008

2008 Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free
Pumpkin Recipes Summary

Pumpkin Pie Pumpkin, Acorn Squash
Just in time for Halloween, here's a consolidated summary of some of the gluten-free and wheat-free pumpkin-featuring recipes that I have made available on this blog and on our online gluten-free recipes library. These gluten-free recipes include everything from main-courses to side dishes to desserts, with pumpkin as the Celiac-safe ingredient of inspiration for each creation - all in time for Halloween or Thanksgiving.

I also have some NEW recipes coming soon that feature pumpkin as well, and I should have them online over the coming days and weeks here too. But, this list will certainly get you thinking of Halloween and pumpin-themed dishes, if you are not already.

Note: the hyperlinks (underscored text) within the text below link to the page(s) with the actual recipes. I didn't repeat the full recipe text for each of these here, since it is just a click away already.
Being no surprise that I am a huge fan of home-baked gluten-free desserts, whether there is a nearby Holiday to provide an excuse to bake some extra treats or not, I will begin with dessert recipes.

Dessert Recipes
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll - Cream Cheese Filling

Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Pumpkin Roll RecipeA perennial favorite this time of year is the Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll recipe. This particular pumpkin roll has that flavorful pumpkin spice-cake rolled around a layer of sweetened cream cheese filling. The whole creation is dusted with a bit of powdered sugar, and served chilled. What a fantastic way to enjoy that pumpkin!

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Crème Brulée
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Crème Brulée
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Pumpkin Crème Brulée Recipe 
I certainly enjoy one of the ultimate rich desserts - Crème Brulée! And in this case it is an incredible Crème Brulée featuring Pumpkin accents. I sure hope your diet allows you to still enjoy the dairy richness of this recipe, as it is just wonderful, and not only for Thanksgiving or Halloween. This gluten-free Gluten-Free Pumpkin Crème Brulée Recipe features a full-cream Crème Brulée that has a subtle, yet flavorful, pumpkin flavor throughout the rich custard. Creme Brulee can optionally be topped with a caramelized sugar layer if you prefer the traditional burnt-sugar top.

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
Here is a quick and easy pumpkin-accent cake that will fit the season well: Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bundt Cake recipe. A nice blend of spices - clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (and even a bit of cocoa!) - give this cake much of the same overall flavor as a pumpkin pie would enjoy. And, it is quick and simple to prepare.


Main Courses and Side-Dishes
Are pancakes a main course?
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
I don't know about you, but for me, Pancakes do count as a main course on more than a few occasions. So, here is one type of Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancake Recipe that I enjoy on occasion. I say "one type" because I tend to regularly vary the ingredients, especially the flours that I use, on a rather ad-hoc basis.

Some days I'll use some Millet flour, other days will include Sorghum, and still others the Teff and Buckwheat (which IS safe for Celiac sufferers in its pure form - it is NOT a wheat, though it sounds like it). I also have a tendency to throw a few chocolate chips into the mix and turn the whole pancake into a giant cookie of sorts :)



Pumpkin as Pasta
I wrote a blog about using pumpkin as a "pasta" of sorts. As such, this dish works well as both a main course or a side dish - take your pick. Quite often, it is a wonderful low-calorie and healthy feature item for my dinner. It is simple to prepare, mild in flavor (primarily taking on the flavor of whatever pasta sauce you choose), and starts using pumpkin in its most basic form, without the usual pumpkin-pie spices many are accustomed to. This recipe relies on the basic baked-pumpkin recipe.


Standard Baked Pumpkin Recipe
I wrote this gluten-free blog entry a while back, about how to prepare a small pumpkin-pie type pumpkin as a baked pumpkin for eating as you would any other baked squash. It is quite simple to take a pumpkin, "gut it", place it in the oven, and produce a healthy and satisfying dish (or foundation for other recipes). And, speaking of a foundation for other recipes, I'll move on to another recipe which features this baked pumpkin...



Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Pumpkin Risotto
And now, for a wonderful pumpkin-accent side dish for the season, do not forget the Gluten-Free Pumpkin Risotto Recipe. It has a mild, pleasant flavor, with just a hint of cinnamon to go along with the very subtle pumpkin undertones. It relies on the baked pumpkin recipe again, though you could probably just as easily use canned pumpkin if you choose.


Happy Halloween and Pumpkin Eating
These recipes should make for some great Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes as well, so keep them close at hand for any of those leftover pumpkins you may have sitting around in next month. As in prior years, I have already cooked my pile of pumpkins and have frozen their cooked pulp for later. And, just in time... my 2007 bounty JUST ran out a few weeks before the new pumpkin season started here in Ohio.

Happy Halloween everyone, and happy pumpkin eating too!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I make a side dish with pumpkin, sauteed red peppers and onions. It is really good, and gluten free. mmmmm. thanks for sharing all the recipes.

Mike Eberhart said...

Karen,
Sounds good to me! I love mixing my wife's fresh made chunky tomato sauce (with peppers, onions, garlic, etc) in with pumpkin. Excellent and healthy. Nice to see that others appreciate such combinations. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Lynn Barry said...

What a fantastic entry...BOOtiful...

Sarah said...

What beautiful pictures and tempting recipes! My kids will LOVE me if I'll make them some of these yummy treats. If only I could keep my hands off them...
THNAKS!!

Mrs. G.F. said...

That pumpkin roll looks so decadent!!!

YUM!!!

Dianne said...

Wow! Mike! You have been busy! They all look gorgeous, but the pancakes look especially nice, I'm sorely tempted to give them a go!!

Happy Haloween :)

Anonymous said...

I tried the pumpkin roll for a potluck at work. Everyone loved it, and couldn't believe it was gluten free (I told them afterwards). Thank you, Thank you for posting all these delicious recipes!! I was just diagnosed last month, and I love visiting your site!

Mike Eberhart said...

Monica,
I am so glad you had a chance to bake the pumpkin roll and try it out on even the non-gluten-free crowd to great success! Bravo! That is a nice way to get started with GF baking.

I have been telling people for a long time that it is very much possible to create desserts as good as the "real" thing, especially since we publish our gluten-free desserts book under that very premise. Confirmation of that stated goal being met is always appreciated :)

---
Everyone else... thanks again for stopping by! Dianne, I hope you have time for pancakes :) Sarah, I guess you best get baking for those kids now :) Lynn and everyone: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!