Monday, June 02, 2008

New Zealand Pears - Wonderful!


This has to be one of the best pear varieties I have ever tried. As you can see in the picture, it is of New Zealand origin, and appears to be called an Enza "Taylors Gold". I found a few of these on sale recently at Whole Foods Market ($1.99/pound), and a worker there helped me choose the perfectly ripe ones from the pile.

One thing I can always appreciate while living with a gluten-free diet is fruit. I love fruits in general - perhaps because so many are sweet, which satisfies most sugar and carbohydrate cravings.

This particular pear was nothing short of wonderful. It was so sweet, juicy, smooth textured (non-grainy), and had a perfectly pleasing flavor. I couldn't ask for any more from a pear... its mouth-watering succulence was the stuff of legends. :)

Well, you get the idea. I found these pears to be awesome. If you have a chance to try one, look for a pear that is already slightly soft to the touch, and that should be one which is ready to eat immediately. I generally try to buy more locally-sourced (or at least regionally-sourced) items, but I'm glad I gave in and tried these wonderful New Zealand pears.

Though, one thing I still find amazing/frustrating is how they can get pears from somewhere as far away as New Zealand, to the USA, and sell them for $2.00/pound (after paying the grower, shipper, middlemen, and retailer) when I can't even ship a book overseas for less than about $5.00/pound (not even counting the book price in there), and my product can't spoil like fruit or veggies! But, that's another story it seems - chalk it up to volume discounts for shipping tons of produce at once I guess.

No comments: